allsaidanddone

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Intelligent Indie

Can't remember if I've mentioned them before, but at the moment some my most played (favourite) music is by The Shins. I had them on in the car when Sam was with me one time and she dubbed my music intelligent-indie which I found thoroughly humorous. I suppose if you cared to genre dub it, it would be indie-rock or something. I'm hopeless when it comes to categorizing music. Anyhoo. I really, really like the Shins. I first heard them on the Garden State sound track, traced my way to New Slang and discovered I liked the rest of it. For the record, Sam doesn't like it, Dad doesn't really like it (despite finding an odd affinity with Sixpence - also my influence), Mum and Laura don't mind it and Emily and Hannah were instantly won over and now slightly obsessed. Just today a friend of mine was surprised by the fact that I also like Relient K - how'd they miss that?! I've been listening to them for a good few years now, discovered on impulse and a joint buy with Hannah of their Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do CD, by which we were immediately hooked and now own all of theirs collectively. "I thought you were more into accoustic stuff?" Yes, but... sometimes you need a change - to be honest RK is fairly accoustic in it's own way. I'm not into music where you cannot understand what's being said eg. screamo. I'm not a fan at all of hiphop/rap type stuff nor what I call shopping centre music, although I've been slighly persauded to not mind a few due to influences of Jess W and her incesent playing of every single genre under the sun. I travel with Jess a lot and so have to put up it. She has not yet and will not ever win me to liking Bollywood. The accoustic thing does explain a lot of my music, the more mellow stuff. Anything within and moving a bit on from the realms of Simon and Garfunkel is usually a winner.

3 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 05:18:00 pm, Blogger Achi Myachi said...

gush Jo gave me some accoustic versions of mmhmm, which I think are on their apathetic ep

 
At 4/16/2006 05:52:00 pm, Blogger Bec said...

yeah I know, Hannah has that. I actually think I like the originals better - depends.

 
At 4/17/2006 09:54:00 am, Blogger Meika said...

come on bec, bolly wood is cool

*grins*

and i dont mind the shins music, i just dont like the vocalists voice...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home