allsaidanddone

Friday, March 10, 2006

Why relationship finds a reason and rules are a blind alley

Seeing as it's on my list of things to do, and I promised I would eventually get around to it, this 'comment' is in response to the, Let's Talk about Sex post over on Paul's blog. First, because I have absoultely no idea where my rambling will take me I shall point out the this sentence:

"I don't want sex without the promise of forever."
Whether you see the funny side of it or not I don't really care. I found it amusing. I do however know exactly what he's on about, I'd be as thick as my elbow if I didn't. That and I utterly agree. I've talked a fair bit about 'only one' and Mr. Right and those topics and I somehow hope that my opinion of how sex should be only within the context of marriage, has shone through. If not I'm stating it here as black and white as the text lets me: Sex belongs within and only within marriage. Although a tangent from Paul's focus of speaking to a group of Christian youth, I do not think that we can ever impose morals or ethical issues such as this upon those coming from an alternative position. By this I mean that Christians live under a different set of ethical (bit hesistant to use that, perhaps moral works better) standards. We cannot bind those from a strictly secular position by something that does not really have any relevance to them. Aside from the common 'Safe Sex' talks that go on in schools and around the home where 'The safest sex is no sex' catch cry lodges in the throat as being distinctly stupid (No sex is no sex basically, you can't change that!) the fact of 'saving yourself' is a personal choice when you have no God to honor or Biblical morals to follow. By this I certainly am not saying that all 'non-Christians' have no morals or restraint, nor am I saying that they choose unwisely as I think there would be people out there for reasons of their own choose that to wait. Many Christians stuff up the sex thing big time. I am simply stating that they (secular) are not bound by what we should be considering differently. Please note that I used the word standards rather than obligations previously. Christianity should never be lived legalisticly. Rules do come into it, but it's probably better to look at it as lining up with what we believe God wants us to do rather than the 'thou shalt not's'. This lets the Christian life centre upon a relationship rather than a stone tablet. Living a God honoring life sets you to where you need to be assessing a couple of things. Firstly what does the Bible say about it all. It's a pretty good place to start, seeing as it's the primary method of communication by being a story about how God has worked through history which really shows his view on a lot of things. Secondly, where do you fit in this God picture, where does God fit, where do others fit and what happens with the interaction there? I don't think being a Christian makes it any less easier to 'wait'. But if the issue of sex and marriage is looked at, weighed up and not just another law to follow you do end up with some kind of a reason for your self control and here is where it should make the difference. Might look at the Biblical view of Sex some other time so at least I've got it up here in front of my face but that will do for now as my brain has imploded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home