allsaidanddone

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wish list

Working in a bookshop you don't intend to get sucked in by certain titles and you don't have much time to read blurbs, but a mental 'must get' or at least read list starts building. Mine looks a little like this at the moment: Haddon, Mark - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time This is not so much a kids book, Dymocks keeps it in the Literature section, it's meant to be brilliant. I've had my eye on it for months and months now. Campbell, Eric - Absurdistan Back in 200x around the time all the 'War on Terrorism' stuff came up I kept a close eye on the news and made a mental note to keep track of one particular journalist. This was short lived when I picked (Eric Campbell - I'm fairly sure it was him) and the following week his camera man was blown up by a suicide bomber. I confess I gave up the idea following anyone after that (was a bit put out, and minorly disturbed). I would very much like to have a read of this one. Hamilton, Clive - Affluenza Curiousity apparently killed the cat. This looks interesting. Martel, Yann - Life of Pi Again another that has been lurking in the background for ages. And some others on the list: Heller, Joseph - Catch 22 maybe Nabokov, Vladimir - Lolita(questionable that I attempt this one, I'd like to one day if I feel brave :) really do the girls wandering around Eastland with pink Lolita bags have a clue of where the name has come from! :S) Behrendt, Greg/ Tuccillo, Liz - He's Just Not That In To You I would like sincerly to read this book. I read a small proportion when I was in Borders one day (yeh, traitor!) and a lot of it is full of crap but I want a 'non Christianese' view on relationships. Again it would be interesting. Smalley, Gary - The Five Love Languages I don't think I've ever read (if I have it was ages ago) the actual Love Languages book, always the alternate ones ie: Love Languages of God, Teens Love Languages or similar. Pax, Salam - The Baghdad BlogI mean why not! You can read it here I think. and there are others... oh yes there are others. I should read something by Oscar Wilde and hmm... I wouldn't mind a book on Body Language as that would be quite facinating.

4 Comments:

At 2/16/2006 10:06:00 pm, Blogger Bec said...

guess who's house I'll be at tomorrow :P!

 
At 2/16/2006 10:33:00 pm, Blogger Jezika_Rae said...

'Curious incident of the dog at night time' was recommended by one of my special needs lecturers. Apparantly it's written from the perspective of someone with Autism [am I thinking of the same book?] But yeah, I've heard it's fantastic, really insightful.
happy reading Bec, and looking forward to seeing you sunday ;)
Jess xoxo

 
At 2/16/2006 11:10:00 pm, Blogger Bec said...

botheration. I forgot to tell Paul not to spill the beans!

It should all be fine. If my ride home *cough* is still available. :D

 
At 2/17/2006 05:44:00 pm, Blogger Bec said...

Much thanks Katie!

I now have my hands of: Curious Incident...

and also on 'The Secret Life of Bees' by someone or other which I forgot to add to my list but it should've been there.

(self reminder: Katie now has Captivating book, not Jo) Thanks JoMcGo :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home